Subject: Re: Models vs. CGI
From: [email-masked] (robert hood)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 18:23:29 -0800

> >>  If CGI spaceship is almost indistinguishable from a real model,
> >> then the only advance you've made is in your show's budget.
> 
> >>>	This is SO stupid I can't believe it.

I wasn't going to respond to this insightful rebuttal, so I won't.  =|^)
 
>   Well just when we think we have heard it all. I always thought the
>   ultimate goal for CGI WAS to do something that nobody could tell was
>   CGI...

How does this apply to something like The Mind's Eye trilogy, another "art
form" example?  CGI has a lot of "ultimate" goals, realism is but one.

>  AND do it cheaper. 

"Cheaper" is driven by commercialism of the medium, as is the realism goal.
Don't get me wrong; these are GOOD things.  Everybody benefits from these
advances.  I was merely discussing the differences between the mechanics of
reproducing reality versus believably creating the unreal.  In the first
instance, CGI becomes (arguably) the ends.  In the latter, CGI is (arguably)
the means.

BTW, because some people obviously need reminding, I am not necessarily
right or wrong.  These are my opinions.  If you have opinions (preferably
those that have a hand-hold on the food chain higher than "stupid"), then
you are entitled to them as well--whether I or others agree with them or not.

Render me gone,               |||
Bob                         ^(===)^
-------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo--------------------------------------
Bob Hood, President | All governments suffer from a recurring problem:
Virtual Visions,Inc.| Power attracts pathological personalities.  It is not
Tel: 1.303.989.4191 | that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the
FAX: 1.303.727.7555 | corruptible.  Such people have a tendency to become
                    | drunk on violence, a condition to which they are
[email-masked]    | quickly addicted              - Frank Herbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------